Why is it that as a species, humans are so intrigued by the thought of the apocalypse? No matter the form, the end of everything as we know it is written about, talked about or debated on almost constantly. It’s not only the religious aspects of the apocalypse such as the four horsemen either, it’s every possible scenario we can find.
I’ve even been guilty of indulging in the end of times myself. Two of my favorite TV shows either revolve around or have themes that use the apocalypse as subject matter. The Walking Dead is one of the most popular television series out now or recently and it is nothing but constant death and pain during a Zombie Apocalypse. Supernatural has visited and re-visited almost every possible scenario of a biblical apocalypse, went past it and found new ways to create the possible end to civilization. The thing is, I enjoy almost every minute of these shows and their end it all stories.
On several occasions on my blogs I’ve been known to mention the forthcoming Robot Apocalypse. Machines are one day almost surely going to develop into an artificial intelligence that enslaves mankind. Why is it I feel this way? Maybe because I have seen or heard stories about this possibility almost my entire life. The ways may be different, but the result is almost always the same. Robots will enslave us!
Just in the last few years we have been bombarded by news of asteroids or meteors that could collide with earth, destroying everything almost instantly. We were told for years the end of the Mayan calendar meant the end of everything in the year 2012. Even a few years back we were told the new millennium would destroy everything when computers went bonkers. The threat of a global nuclear release that would destroy mankind is always a possibility, though not as popular an end as it was a few years ago.
Another popular scenario of the last few years that has been debated to within an inch of its life is the possibility of global warming. Whether it is really happening or not it has led to some great stories of the way the world may end. Earthquakes, floods and super storms will reek havoc until there is nothing left. If we are lucky, maybe a few humans will survive to start mankind with a clean slate, not making the mistakes of our past.
And that might be the whole purpose of all the apocalypse stories. The ability to survive through them and be a better civilization. The ability to overcome the worst of the worst situations and still maintain our humanity. Maybe we need to think we could always be better, even when the outcome is bleak at best. I would love to know your thoughts or to find out your favorite apocalypse stories or moments. My favorite ten are as follows.
1) Independence Day – Aliens will destroy us until we band together as a world to stop them.
2) The Walking Dead – Zombies, zombies everywhere. Luckily they can’t get through fences.
3) Armageddon – A drill team will save us all. What madness ensues (space madness at that)
4) Supernatural – It’s always a plus when you have an angel and death himself as friends.
5) Terminator – Robots, time travel and the end of everything. Sure I get it. It’s not confusing at all.
6) Zombieland – Who would have thought Zombies could be funny, or Bill Murray would be a survivor?
7) Planet of the Apes – Admit it, we probably deserve everything the apes dish out
8) The Core – Restart the earth’s core. That sounds pretty simple.
9) Idiocracy – Might be more realistic than any of the other scenarios.
10) Simpsons – Dolphins take over and humanity is done for. Sounds fun.
There are many more that could be added. Can you believe I left off The Matrix? Thanks for visiting and reading and please feel free to share your opinion.